Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fun with Frisket and Funky Woof

This week I created a logo for my Aunt's 'brand' of colourful dog clothing "Funky Woof". It may have some legibility issues but here's what I have so far... I can't decide between them. Actually I think now I am leaning towards the right one, with the curvy front leg.

This earlier version had a blanket on, which I liked because it got across the idea of dog clothing but it doesn't get across the outrageous/colourful feel of the clothes my aunt is selling. I couldn't get this idea to work with the random colours and shorter legs (the descender on the 'u' is messing up the legibility especially).


In my other spare time, I'm not really sure what possessed me, but I decided to experiment with a bottle of liquid frisket I had lying around. I had heard a lot about liquid masks and this frisket stuff, especially from the airbrush magazines I have in my collection. I've never fully understood what it was until now.

It's basically just liquid latex, a lot like the latex I was putting on my face to create a dead skin for the zombie shuffle. Liquid latex is a bit like PVA glue only smellier and it doesn't bond to much except itself.

The horse skeleton idea came from a t-shirt design I was doing on the computer one day with a skeleton image borrowed from the web. I've always needed to replace the idea with original art so I thought this was a good way to experiment and be productive at the same time.

It was kind of cool, at certain stages it looked like a tar covered fossil and peeling away the frisket was fun, a bit like excavating my own little fossilised art piece.


In other news my sketchbook for the Sketchbook Project arrived. Yay! I chose "Science project gone wrong" as my subject. I'm thinking of doing a series of little monsters and stuff whose designs will be based on warning labels, for example: not suitable for children, may contain traces of nuts. That kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment